Sunday, December 12, 2010

Getting started: ‘Shubh Aarambh’

Straddler , that’s what I name my blog. It may have  a negative connotation as it could mean a fence sitter. A fence sitter I have never been. I have shown courage to transgress  into unknown territories. If not consciously, at least out of curiosity. I have treaded dangerous paths but backed out before it was too late. I have taken risks in life but not blindly. An alternate plan was always ready. And a determination to pursue the plans till I had the results. Never wanted to linger  a minute more in unfamiliar territories or pursue further when my limited goals were achieved.  Touch and Go. More like a deft Kabadi player.  I’m not by nature an adventurous person. But I have surprised myself, when I look back, how I could act or speak so boldly. How I could act/ talk so decisively when by nature I ‘m a shy person. In the posts to follow, hopefully, I would attempt to unravel myself. I would try to explore the contradictions that I am.  But that’s from my point of view.  I would also be commenting upon issues which appeal to me or on matters that affect/disturb me or things I strongly feel about. I’m not sure how candid I can be, but shall try to be as honest as I can be.  I would reminisce a lot about my childhood, school/college days and my official life. When I was seriously debating about a blog, the one thing I was apprehensive was whether the officialese would creep into my writing. I’m reassured by the posts of two of my senior colleagues whose blogs are mercifully devoid of the office language or the office anecdotes. These colleagues will be my harbingers and inspiration.  You will see very less of my family in these posts, but I dare say it has been my wife who has been motivating me to write as a means of self expression. Perhaps she feels that I will bother her less if I spend more time on my writing.

So what do I name my blog?  Notwithstanding any negative connotation it might have, it is ‘Unni_the_straddler’

I fervently wish that my engagement with the blog turns out to be a successful journey and any visitors it might have don’t feel cheated.

6 comments:

  1. "Two roads diverged in a wood,
    and I took the one less travelled by,
    and that made all the difference.
    Robert Frost.
    It does not necessarily mean that the road less travelled by is better but only that it is different. Take any road and enjoy the waderings. If someone joins you and gets some pleasure, it is a bonus. I have joined your blog as a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. hope you have read the quote from Kahlil Gibran in the headline.
    Unni

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did and was reminded of the Balachandran Chullikkad lines.
    'Arinjathil paathi parayathe poyi
    paranjathil paathi pathiraayum poyi
    pakuthi hrudayathinaal porukkumbol ningal
    pakuthi hruthinaal veruthu kolluka
    Ithente rakthama nithente maamsama-
    neduthu kolluka"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can u please help me to find out the poem which these lines belongs to?

      Delete
    2. Can u please help me to find out the poem which these lines belongs to?

      Delete
  4. I certainly haven't felt cheated on this random one... Nice blog

    ReplyDelete